Wednesday, September 14, 2005

To all budding transcendentalists out there

Yesterday I was having a very interesting discussion with two of my favorite art history professors about French philosophy (before I sound too proud of myself, my contributions to the conversation went along the lines of "I had to read Sartre in my high school French class. It blew."). But we were talking about Camus's idea of "authentic decisions" and his belief that people should only make decisions based on what they think at that moment...not based on any outside moral code or what one thinks one ought to do. I really like his suggestion that people examine and analyze for themselves what is right and wrong instead of just going along with what other people, texts or Oprah say. Right on.

But then it occurred to me how difficult that must be when you're a parent. Now, if you have intelligent children, you'll probably be fine encouraging them to think for themselves and trusting they'll make good decisions. But what if your kid is a moron? What then? Am I the only person out there who is worried that I'll have a child who's an idiot and will therefore have no idea how to parent them? Could I sound like more of a jerk?

And, just as a P.S. here, I got a really cute pink, rhinestone bracelet at Target last night. And I watched House on Fox. I just love that show! I was really proud of L.L. Cool J for not licking his lips once during any of his scenes. I dig the guy, but that lip-licking thing he does skeeves me out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

I agree. I think it's a good theory, and a good goal to try to make authentic decisions, but I'm not sure how well it works in reality. Cause I often find that when I'm right in the middle of something, I tend to make decisions I regret later...when I'm HUNG OVER. Ugh.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Hannah Barnaby said...

How does the idea of authentic decisions relate to social responsibility? We can't ignore the fact that our decisions create consequences that affect other people. (Although Courtney Love seems to be really good at it.)

On an unrelated topic, I love the word verification device on this site. Today's word is: DHZMIGY. Which, I believe, is a type of Russian pastry.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Poppy, you are killing me with that "Russian pastry" comment! I'm cracking up!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home