Thursday, September 15, 2005

Bite me, Amaya

I see Britney Spears gave birth yesterday. To a boy named Preston. Ok, I really don't know what my deal is with this, but I have a blinding, seething, grainy hatred of names like that: yuppie names, first names that should be last names (Connor, I'm looking in your direction), names for girls that are traditionally boys' names, etc.... It just drives me nuts. And if you ever find me talking about naming a child of mine after a person on the Real World, you'll know I need to be heavily dosed with Paxil...stat. I'm getting so annoyed with this trend that I'm seriously considering having children named Stanley, Marvin and Eulalia. Take that, cool kids! Yeah, I'm talking about you, Madyson!

As I was waiting at my brother-in-law's house last night for J to finish networking some computers, I saw that AMC was airing Two Week's Notice and When Harry Met Sally back-to-back. Dude, is that a great lineup or what? It goes without saying that those are two of my favorite movies, and I think they're just delightful, but I noticed last night another reason why I am so drawn to them: the female characters are actually smart. Sandra Bullock plays a Harvard-educated lawyer and Meg Ryan is a U. of Chicago grad and journalist. I think that's fantastic. And that is also why I wouldn't cry one bit of Jessica Alba was actually eaten by a shark in real life. Seriously. I really wouldn't mind.

In other news, I want to extend a couple hefty shout-outs (or is it "shouts-out"...?) of "Congratulations" to my friend Poppy for finishing her novel in fine fashion, to my friend Arisa for landing a great job, and to my friend Ashrey for getting Tivo. Rock on, sisters sledge.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hannah Barnaby said...

Thanks for the shout-out, yo. I second the praise for Ashrey and Arisa -- accomplishments all around!

I sure do wish my name started with A...

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home