Monday, December 11, 2006

Drinking beer and playing cards with cousin Mel

Christmas is two weeks away! Ack! I'm actually not completely freaking out because I've got most of my shopping, wrapping and Christmas cards done, but I still have a few things to do before I can actually relax. I was thinking this morning how when I was a kid, this point in December was full of sweet anticipation and not an ounce of stress. Now that I actually have to give people presents instead of just getting them, the Christmas anticipation is less sweet and a lot more harried. But it's still a great holiday. Even when I'm feeling my most Grinch-y, I still love seeing people's faces when they open a present that they really like. And that is why I like to give people food--everybody loves a cookie.

I also heard this morning that the new Mel Gibson movie about the Mayans was #1 at the box office. Interesting. Aside from the fact that I'm not that interested in watching human sacrifice (I took a Mesoamerican archaeology course in college, so I know what those people did. Blech) on the big screen, I don't think I'm that fond of Mel Gibson anymore, so I'm going to avoid that movie. But I have a feeling that J will want to watch it on DVD one day since he loves bloody fight scenes. I swear, he could watch Braveheart and Fight Club all day long.

6 Comments:

Blogger BETH said...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/08/review.apocalypto/index.html

Interesting review of Gibsons new movie which I am not going to see, either. Just don't do violence like that. Yuk.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yeah, see, this does not sound like a fun way to spend a Saturday, if you ask me. Why is Mel so gross?

10:22 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Giving up the sauce would be a good idea, too. Yeah, my favorite Mel is Lethal Weapon 3 Mel. I liked Conspiracy Theory, too.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, the Passion of the Christ I understand b/c a lot of people are interested in religion... but a movie about Mayans... I definitely don't get why you would even make it and then how it is number 1?

12:09 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I think people must be drawn to the gore. I would have thought the fact that it's in subtitles would keep people away, but I was wrong on that point, apparently.

1:07 PM  
Blogger BETH said...

Katie, I had the same thoughts! When I first heard about the movie, I thought "Why??" I never saw "Fight Club" b/c I heard it was so violent.

Sorry about the link I pasted not showing in entirety, basically he says the violence gets in the way of the story.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home