Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"Your manager said to shut up!" "Vera said that?"

I'm noticing a disturbing trend out there amongst a certain subset of Americans: the inability to conjugate the verbs "to see" and "to come." I first detected this trend while watching the local news and noticing that people who are often witnesses to crime or have been recent victims of violent thunderstorms were saying things like "I come home from work, and I seen that my trailer was blowed over." But then I was watching this show about megahogs on Saturday (and can I just say how much I'm looking forward to college football starting so there's something decent to watch on Saturday afternoons again?), and, once again, there's this guy from central Georgia stating that "I come up the hill in my pickup, and I seen this big ol' hog in the woods, so I shot 'im with my rifle." What is with this? These are not difficult verbs to learn. In fact, "came" and "saw" are just as short or shorter than what they're saying. And it's apparently spreading across the entire country! Sigh.

2 Comments:

Blogger BETH said...

Preaching to the choir, sister. Bad grammar a huge pet peeve and the biggest one spoken is using "at" at the end of a sentence, as in "where are you at?" Doesn't that just SOUND wrong?? And, in the written word, not knowing the difference (or not caring) between their, there, and they're.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

And why are apostrophes so hard to understand? People either ignore them altogether or throw them in every chance they get.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home