Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Damn it, Jim!

My thoughts on tv's new hit Bones: I like this show. But I am surprised by the reason why. I minored in anthropology in college (as part of my plan to educate myself in as many useless fields as possible), and I love murder mysteries, so I was convinced I'd love the forensic anthropologist character, Temperance. But it turns out that either the actress is not my cup of tea or the writing could use some work or something, because I really like the detective, Booth, much better. And I also dig the stuff the young techie guy says. For instance, last night, his quip "I guess Angela just needed to hear her job description in a deep, African-American tone" cracked me up. And don't get me started on the chick who plays Angela. Before you get a job as an actress, learn how to cry on camera. I feel nothing for you. You are dead to me.

But, anyway, I am disturbed on a deeper level, because I feel like I SHOULD be loving the rational, intelligent woman instead of the salt-of-the-earth male detective. Does this mean I do not like myself? Am I so conditioned by society to find smart women uninteresting? Gah! Another crisis caused by freakin' Fox!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched the first episode of this show and was unimpressed because I felt that they rushed to the conclusion- I too (even without a minor in anthropology) was interested in how the female lead was going to figure everything out just by looking at the bones... but alas, there was very little of that and then all of a sudden she had all the answers. Furthermore, I do think they could have found a far better actress for that part. I was bummed from the get go because I really wanted David Boreanaz to have another show.

I don't know if I ever mentioned this... 2 friends of mine went to highschool with David and his dad is a newscaster on one of the local Philly stations.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops... last post was from me... not 'anonymous' hehe.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yeah, I'm hoping the main actress starts to grow on me because I really like the premise and lots of other things. Here's my one other gripe and then I'll stop: if Temperance doesn't follow pop culture, how in the world does she dress so well? Shouldn't she be wearing dowdy suits or polyester dresses?

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home