Friday, June 09, 2006

I slack, therefore I am...not amounting to much

My boss informed me yesterday that an intern will be coming in today to learn some things about digitization here at the library, so I'll need to show her what I do and what sort of issues I work with. This makes me nervous on several levels because a) I fear she'll figure out rather quickly that my job fluctuates wildly between incredibly dull and gutwrenchingly boring and b) I'm not sure if what I know about digitization amounts to much. Sure, I do it all day, but that sort of familiarity with a subject can lead you to a point where you're so involved in it, you're not sure you're even doing it the right way anymore. A big job fear is that one day, a librarian will walk in here, see how we catalogued the slides, gasp in horror and announce we did it "all wrong!"

Not that I'd chuck all my worldly goods and become a sherpa if that happened, but it would be embarrassing. I try to maintain strong boundaries between my job performance and my overall sense of self, because, seriously, those people whose lives are all about work just plain scare me. I'm reading a book right now about bank workers in New York who work 16 hour days and aren't allowed to leave their desks. This to me does not sound like fun. I get annoyed when I have to stay 5 minutes late waiting for J to get out of the office. Geesh.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya, Ann, I like my job but I still want a life and enjoy leaving at 5:00! :) Speaking of which, is it 5:00 yet??

TGIF!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Amen to that! I really can't believe there are people out there who work 80 hours a week. When do they do laundry? Grocery shop? How does that work?

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home