Thursday, September 04, 2008

Je voudrais telephoner bleu de bleu

As long as I can remember, I've had this annoying personality trait of wanting to be different for the sake of being different. It's not really on any conscious level, but I find myself disliking things simply because they're popular, and I don't know why I do that. Maybe it's not just me...is this a common feeling? And it's not any type of snobbishness. I mean, I love Target, McDonald's and watching football, so I'm not a total jerk. But I've come to the conclusion as of late that the best way to be a rebel in our current culture is to embrace my age. I'm serious. I'm going to start dressing in polyester slacks (and saying "slacks" because nobody under the age of 58 says "slacks" anymore), not plucking out my gray hairs and standing next to smokers when I'm outside so I can get some real wrinkles going on. And you know what has brought this on? Reading that Madonna and Michael Jackson just turned 50...and then looking at pictures of them and all the plastic surgery they've had and realizing that they look RIDICULOUS. They look like really skinny clowns. Yuck.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to start loving my wrinkles but you will never catch me in "slacks".

9:48 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

How do you feel about culottes?

10:00 AM  
Blogger BETH said...

How do you feel about dungarees? That is what my Dad calls jeans.

I agree on the plastic surgery thing, sometimes it just makes people look worse.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Hee, dungarees. I always think of kangaroos wearing pants when I hear that word.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure "slacks" have to have an elastic waistband :) Although I did love my maternity pants with the big elastic band...

Ann's bringing back culottes!

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to orthopedically correct footwear myself.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I'm going to invent culottes made out of slacks and pair them with sequined orthopedic shoes. I'm going to look AWESOME.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

might sound dumb... but what are culottes?

1:39 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

They're sort of like Bermuda shorts but much fuller and a little longer. They are THE DORK. I remember girls wearing them in elementary school and even my 7-year-old brain realized they didn't look good.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are like a hybrid pant/skirt. Because sometimes you want the look of the skirt with the comfort of pants (or slacks) that are so wide it is like wearing a skirt anyway...

"Do they serve an orthopedic function?"

2:31 PM  
Blogger BETH said...

Ann, you need some SAS shoes to complete the look!!
Culottes = bad.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandmother wears SAS shoes. They're awesome! I wonder when I can start wearing those.

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home