Wednesday, December 03, 2008

"Does syrup have sugar in it?" "Yes" "Then YES!"

We're in our new house! Hot buttered rum! It's really nice. There are, of course, boxes and junk lying everywhere, but we got the important things unpacked and put away, so that's good enough for now. We were extremely lucky that so many of J's family members and my Mom came over on Friday and helped us move. They were awesome. And it's just so nice in this neighborhood. It's so quiet and spacious. Haven't seen a single hooker either. Not one. Amazing. It's just so strange to live somewhere that seems so peaceful and hopeful. There's not that overriding interest in getting money out of the government or finding ways to steal somebody else's stuff. I grew up in the suburbs, but my three and a half years on the west side made me forget all that good stuff about it. And the mall...oh, how I missed the malls. I swear, even the squirrels in our new neighborhood seem fatter and happier. One of them actually smiled and waved at me from the fence in our backyard.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That squirrel might be rabid...I'd avoid it! :)

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, Jamie might be right about the squirrel so here's hoping he's satisfied with waving at you from the fence and doesn't try to get much closer.

I'm so thrilled that you guys are in the new house! I will miss the stories but I'd rather hear stories of how you had a peaceful night's sleep, uninterrupted by the neighborhood thugs and 'tutes.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

'Tutes do have their charm, I will say that.

That didn't occur to me that the squirrels might be rabid. I haven't seen any of them foaming at the mouth, but if I do, I will keep my distance. Word.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I just watched Elf the other night :)

So very happy for you guys! And although you may have gotten away from the hookers and the thugs... suburbia has its share of odd neighbors, so I'm sure you'll still have some stories to tell!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I'm kind of surprised by how little we've seen our neighbors so far. But we figure they might have been out of town for Thanksgiving.

"I'm 26 and have nothing to show for it." "You're young. You're so young."

10:11 AM  
Blogger BETH said...

Yeah, I am so happy you are getting settled in your new home!! I agree on the squirrel...I am very suspicious of all squirrels after a friend was attacked by a squirrel in grad school in the Horsehoe. (the squirrel wasn't in grad school, we were.) :) I crack myself up.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Can you imagine a squirrel in grad school? They're already kind of high-strung. A thesis would probably drive them to suicidal behavior.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The USC squirrels had NO FEAR!

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home