Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I'm done running. Bring me some ale!

I've always been kind of anti-treadmill at the gym. I generally stick to the elliptical machines, stair steppers and bikes, mostly because I always thought running on a treadmill looked pretty boring and I was concerned my trick knees (old soccer injuries...I had the knees of an 80-year-old man by age 10) would snap if I ran that much. But I've been tired of my routine at the gym for the past couple weeks, so yesterday I gave the treadmill a shot. It wasn't that bad. The readout said I didn't burn that many calories, but it felt like a good workout, so I think I'll keep running and see what happens.

Unfortunately, I don't think I was really built for running. I'm not particularly skinny anymore, and I think my Polish/German heritage has me built more for tilling fields than running in a graceful manner. Basically, my legs have the heft of a Polish farmer, is what I'm saying. And that, my friends, makes me feel like a lumbering fool when I'm jogging. But once I get over that mental hurdle, I think it'll be ok. Cause if anybody makes fun of me, I'll just kick them in the knees. They don't know what they're messing with here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

I'm getting off the plateau! Whoo! And it's a good thing, too, since elderly women are telling me I'm putting on weight. Hmph.

I'm sorry I didn't get to read that comment though. I bet it was Pulitzer-worthy! :)

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home