Monday, March 12, 2007

What are you, six?

Our 19-year-old niece is getting married this Saturday (this is J's brother's daughter), and (because everything is really about me) it's making me try to imagine what I would have been like as a married 19-year-old. Seriously, it doesn't even compute...mostly because I didn't have a boyfriend at that age. But my overall memory of myself as a sophomore in college can be summed up in one word: unformed. I was very shy, I hadn't picked a major yet (in fact, I think that was the first year I took art history, thus charting the course for my future), and I hadn't yet discovered my love for sequins, corduroy and Indian food. So it's very hard for me to picture being in a place at that age where I would have been comfortable making such a permanent decision. But, as my Mom often reminds me, not everybody is like me. So our niece must feel settled in the person she is now and ready for this level of commitment. Me, I couldn't even get my own cat when I was 24 because I was scared of the responsibility.

You know, the more I think about this, it's a good thing not everybody is like me. I'm really kind of immature.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are ok! Even when I knew Mike was 'the one' I wasn't ready to get married right away. And I obviously wasn't ready to have kids as soon as we got married. I still don't know if I'm ready to have kids- ha! We started our baby registry yesterday- that alone wiped me out and we didn't even finish!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Aww, that's cute! I've heard that the baby registries can be pretty complicated. And, really, you ought to put as much stuff as you can on there since you're going to use all of it. You can never have too many cute baby outfits either.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

It really is hard to imagine being ready for marriage so young. But, at that age, I still felt like I had a lot to accomplish besides a family. So I suppose if things like a graduate degree or travelling aren't a priority, you can make that commitment. So odd.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 2 kids and have been married for almost 4 years, and I'm still not sure if I'm ready to be Married with Children! I also don't know what I want to be when I grow up...

~I'm glad you like the site. I don't scrapbook so it's what I do to document K and L's childhood...slacker mommy!! If you want a good laugh, watch the "Dinner at the Kelly's". You can't help but laugh!!

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home