Monday, April 23, 2007

Some of the birds will not survive

So instead of going outside yesterday and enjoying the wonderful weather, I stayed inside and watched hour after hour of Planet Earth on the Discovery Channel. No, the irony of that is not lost on me, but I couldn't tear myself away. They had some beautiful shots of mountains in Tibet, deserts in South America, rain forests in Bangladesh, etc.... It really made me want to travel and see something new. But I was not quite as psyched to watch all the scenes of predators eating their prey. It's bad enough to watch a Nile crocodile attack a wildebeest, but it's actually traumatic to see a snow fox eat a baby gosling in the arctic tundra. Gah. Honestly, I think if I didn't love hamburgers and pepperoni so much, I'd be a vegetarian. I have such a problem eating meat that looks like the animal from whence it came. I can't even eat a chicken wing without feeling guilty. I'm such a product of contemporary America. I like to think that if I was raised in the pioneer days, I would be able to field dress a deer that I just killed with only my wits and a big stick. But I might be kidding myself about that. It's entirely possible that I'm just a huge wuss.

4 Comments:

Blogger BETH said...

That series was sooo good! But, yes, I agree, i would rather not watch the prey/predator stuff. I loved the one with the polar bears.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw one tiny part of that where a male bird was trying to attract a female and it was amazing the way he puffed out the feathers around his face into a semi-circle. Crazy.

I think you would have adapted pretty well in the pioneer days.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

The polar bears were adorable! I'm also a big fan of pitcher plants, river otters and howler monkeys now. Did you see the one where the group of river otters harassed the crocodile until it ran away? It was awesome.

And I did see the one with the tropical male bird with the huge feathers trying to impress the female. That was cool.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had a soft spot for howler monkeys for a while now. I saw some at the San Diego zoo and they were so fun to watch. Plus Jack from Will & Grace does a great howler monkey.

I went to Discovery's website and there are a bunch of video highlights from the shows. I'll look for that one about the otters and crocodile.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home