Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I'm not your clown! Don't diminish me!

I don't understand why my nose is so itchy today considering every last piece of pollen in the county is frozen. It don't make no sense!

It seemed like the entire Today show this morning was about Imus's stupid remarks about the Rutgers basketball team. Man, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton were really letting him have it! Heh. Seriously, if I can go my entire life without using racial epithets and I'm not even paid to speak publicly, I think somebody whose job is on the radio can hold it together for a few hours. Geesh. Leave the slurs at home, sunny Jim. Me, I'm much more inclined to blame rappers. Now, I love the rap music, I really do, but I saw the video for Jay-Z's song Big Pimpin' the other day, and I was mortified by the image of women in that. They're all standing around in bikinis (while the men are fully clothed, of course) and getting champagne poured on them. Yes, that's right, that's exactly how the world is: I'm forever going to work in a bikini and getting doused in sparkling wine. Pfft. Stupid rappers. The more they get on tv and demean African-American women, the more license it gives idiot white guys to do the same thing. And every woman who lets herself be treated like that is giving tacit permission to a man to treat the women in his life the same way. Wise up, people!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that I would want champagne poured on me - I think it would be sticky and gross, not sexy at all.
The Imus thing is crazy... I can't believe the combination of slurs that came out of his mouth!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

So how do the women get into those videos? Is it as sleazy as I'm imagining?

One of the most disappointing things I've seen was Beyonce's first solo video. I can't remember the song, but there was this shot of her and Jay-Z by a car. He was wearing typical casual clothing and she was in a bikini, fur coat and high heels. And it was HER video!! Why would a woman CHOOSE to look like a prostitute if she doesn't have to?

9:27 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

So you basically have to prostitute yourself to get into a video? Charming.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't heard the whole broadcast, but in the clip that I have heard, when he started with the racial slurs, it was almost like he was joking around (not defending him)- like that was his tone, he didn't sound angry.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yeah, I think he was joking, too. I believe somebody else had mentioned that the Rutgers girls looked kind of rough, and Imus started in with his take on their appearance, and then he laughed right after he said the worst part. So, yes, he didn't sound incredibly mean-spirited, but it was still an amazingly stupid thing to say.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home