Monday, April 02, 2007

You can't spell "Dance" without "Dan"

My younger sister, her husband and nephews #3 and #6 came to visit yesterday. We had some wonderful weather, so we went to a park and Chuck E. Cheese's. You know, it had been probably about 15 years since I'd stepped foot into a Chuck E. Cheese (known as Showbiz Pizza when I was a lass), and I was amazed by the stimulation overload. I don't know how toddlers process all those flashing lights, colors, singing and pizza. But I certainly understand why they have beer and wine for the adults. Heavens. It was a great time though.

Oh, and J and I finally went to see 300 on Friday afternoon. I really liked that movie. I was thinking about the political and cultural issues for days afterward. And I'm not gonna lie, the image of Leonidas's naked hiney wasn't bad either. Heavens. But I can completely understand why some Iranians were offended by that movie. It's that typical Western perspective of the East as decadent, barbarian, recumbent and entirely swarthed in silk and gold. But, aside from that, I thought the action sequences ruled and I LOVED how the queen dealt with that a-hole councilman at the end. Take that!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Yep, I had read that although I was surprised because he didn't look much like Paolo :)
Yeah, the part with the queen was depressing, but it really gets the idea across that women in those societies were looked at as property. We're lucky we live in a time and place where we don't have to do those sorts of things to insure our survival or the survival of those we love.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Those Spartans were intense. I'm glad we inherited a lot of the Greek ideas about government and society, but I'm even happier that we didn't actually live back then. That scene in the very beginning about the babies was disturbing, too.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Oh yeah. Breastplates would have made more sense in terms of protection, but they would have ruined those action sequences.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home