Tuesday, January 15, 2008

He'd make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark

This is going to sound either insane or brilliant, but I've started playing this game with myself when Lil J is having a colic-y crying fit where I think of horrible ways to die that I've seen in horror movies and then I ask myself if I'd rather die like that or keep listening to the baby cry. For instance, would I rather be rolled around on my ceiling while being stabbed or listen to Lil J's sad sobs? Would I rather be smacked with a chainsaw in the midsection or have to endure the baby's helpless cries? I gotta admit, most of the time I'd rather be with the baby, but for some reason, it gives me something to think about besides how horrible it is to listen to a baby cry for any extended period of time. And I don't blame the poor little guy one bit. I know he's just trying to express some sort of frustration or hurt. I just wish I knew what he was trying to tell me. If somebody could actually invent a baby translator, I'd be ever so grateful. Thanks so much.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, on "Bringing Home Baby" I saw a couple that had a device that "interpreted" babies cries. I don't know if I buy it though...

11:14 AM  
Blogger BETH said...

My mom would say, "Babies sometimes just cry" and it would make me so mad. It is hard when you don't know why, hang in there. There were days when I swore I had worn paths in the carpet from all the walking around with her! :)

2:07 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Ha, that's so true! I've got paths in the wood floor downstairs and the carpet upstairs :)

3:21 PM  
Blogger Hannah Barnaby said...

My friend Jenn's mother showed me a way to hold babies that makes them stop crying, like, instantly. (But this probably only works for babies who will let you sit down.) You kind of clamp them between your knees and then fold them forward over one leg -- it puts pressure on the tummy and makes them feel better if they have gas. I showed this technique to my pal Julia, and she swears by it now (her son Silas likes to suck on her thumb while in the hold).

Also, I read recently that sometimes newborns get bored (ungrateful little...) and one way to entertain them is with shadow puppets. They can't see colors yet, but they like light and shadow movement. Flashlight tag, anyone?

9:26 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Have you checked out "The Happiest Baby on the Block?" (http://tinyurl.com/2vtd7y) There's a book and a DVD, but honestly since the baby's already there and crying, you're going to want to go with the DVD. Part of it is that hold mentioned in the comment above me, and there's a whole thing with shushing and swaddling. My kiddo never really dug the hold, but the shushing and swaddling really seemed to work. In fact, even at 18 months, I can still calm him down by shushing in his ear.

(I wandered over from Beth's blog, by the way.)

10:52 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Thank you all for the advice! I'll try each and every suggestion!

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home