Thursday, April 09, 2009

The main bullet point of this presentation

I saw an interesting article on cnn.com yesterday about the number of out-of-wedlock births in the U.S. in 2007. Apparently, of the over 4 million babies born that year, 40% were born to unwed mothers. Daaang, that's a lot. But here's where it gets really curious: when it came to white mothers, 27% were single. Of the Latina new moms, 51% were single, and over 70% of the African-American moms weren't married. Huh. That is a completely wacky statistic. Obviously, there are some major cultural differences in the attitudes towards single parents out there. And this study didn't break the numbers down according to whether the mother was truly by herself or if she was living with the baby's father but just not married to him, so it doesn't necessarily mean the kid will only be with the mother. But, dude, when I think about trying to raise a child all by myself, I get the shakes. Can you imagine how hard that would be? I'm not sure how people even do it if they're divorced and sharing custody. But apparently the number of women who choose to become single moms is growing every year. Which, hey, if you have the money and energy to do that, I'm not going to stop you. Rock on with your bad self. I'm just not sure I have that kind of fortitude, however. Cripes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous katie said...

I'm with you 100%!

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home