Thursday, April 23, 2009

No one persecutes harmless crackpots like Gaston

I was in the grocery store the other day and saw a new flavor of Orbit gum called "Sangria Fresca." Gum that tastes like wine? But, you know, that's as close to the sauce as I'm going to get until 2010.

Philosophical question: do you think there is an "addiction gene" that causes certain people to become more easily addicted to things than other people? I think for a lot of people, that's just a given, but I've been talking about this a lot lately and have heard the stance that even if there is an "addiction gene," it's still the person's choice to indulge in that vice and is, therefore, entirely their fault. Which seems harsh if there is a physical trait in that person that causes them to immediately become addicted to say, alcohol, when other people can drink it casually and have no problems. I just find this whole area fascinating. I feel fortunate to not be addicted to anything...although one might argue my dependence on sugar isn't entirely healthy either. But we can discuss my poor pancreas later.

3 Comments:

Anonymous katie said...

I was going to say, you have your addictions - sugar, shopping...

10:00 AM  
Anonymous alisa said...

I watched something the other day about addiction but they focused on drugs and alcohol (the obvious ones). What about the food/sugar/carb addicts like me? Anyway there is a lot of discussion, but it sounds like they've got a pill that work for addicts. There's a pill for just about everything, isn't there?

10:01 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I saw that news item about the addiction pill. I just keep wondering how you get an addict to keep taking it if it's not making them high....

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home