Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Carbo-loading

We're doing inventory in the library this week. For those of you unfamiliar with the adventure that library inventory is, we have to read off a shelf list and check that each and every book is present and accounted for and in its correct position. If anything is missing, we have to scour the library to find it. We don't have that big of a library, but inventory takes days. Days! It's one of those things that's not hard, but it's tedious and monotonous, and you find yourself daydreaming about fire a lot, that's all I'm saying. I wish we were one of those rich, Seattle libraries that has robots to do inventory for them, but, alas, we are not that rich or techno-forward. The good thing here is that our bosses tend to feel sorry for us when we're doing inventory, so they bring in bagels and pizza. If only someone would bring in some wine, too....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh,Ann, that sounds horrible! Drown your sorrows in pizza and bagels!
If it makes you feel better, I am doing research on restricted gifts in "A Legal Primer for Managing Museum Collections." The footnotes take up 1/2 the page! It is hard to go from writing on a 6th grade level so visitors can understand it to reading this legalese! :)

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i too had the adventure of retail inventory... it stank, but we could wear jeans and didn't have to deal with customers, and we goofed off most of the time. But I can definitely see how library inventory would make one dream of fire...

9:35 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I'm on a break from the inventory right now. I've got such a headache. I just wish we used barcode scanners to do it instead of paper because I really think it would go quicker. Ugh. Wine and bagels!!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Oh, and "A Legal Primer for Managing Museum Collections" also sounds like a fine candidate for some fire.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would not have to wade through this legal stuff if I had more reasonable donors to work with! Collectors have such HUGE egos and sometimes their demands are completely ridiculous. Ugh.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can sympathize with you Ann- I too have had to do inventory while at TCL. Not fun for sure!

Hopefully you are much closer to the end than the beginning!

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home