Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Blind as a bat, wily like a fox

You know what? I just realized I didn't watch tv at all last night. I'm so cold.

I've had to wear my glasses the last couple days because the cornea in my left eye got scratched up. It's been interesting because I'm extremely near-sighted, so the glasses are kind of thick and when I take them off, I can see approximately one centimeter in front of my face, then it all just becomes one great, big blur. I was at the gym last night, and I took off my glasses when I started sweating, so I was noticing a lot of interesting things about the gym that I never noticed before (back when I could see, you know, details). For one thing, tv is really, really colorful. It's full of intense blues, reds and yellows. And you may not notice this when you can actually see edges, but most of our environment is formed in geometric shapes like rectangles and triangles. And you sighted people probably don't realize this, but people look kind of silly running on treadmills with their limbs flailing about. It's true.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are like a strange super hero with odd visual perceptions!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I'll tell you what, it really is odd looking at the world without seeing details because everything looks different. We're so used to paying attention to little things that we really don't notice this overall patterns. I'm not saying I'd want to be like that all the time (because severe near-sightedness isn't fun and it gives me headaches), but it's fascinating to glimpse it now and then.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ann, use your powers for good! :)
I am sure it is frustrating to not see well! Kenny has said that when his prescription is updated it is like he can see the leaves on the trees, not just the trees. He is BLIND without his glasses!
i hope your corneal infection goes away...that is why Kenny doesn't wear contacts anymore.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

get lasik. it will change your life!

my word verification is: eyofunpk

it made me think 'eye-o-fun' ... kinda fitting for today's post!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I would love to get lasik. My eye doctor told me I can't because of this condition I have called kerataconus (or something like that). So I'm waiting for the day they come up with a procedure that will help me. Lasik would be SO awesome!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home