Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Generation X-Box

I went to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles first thing this morning to get my driver's license renewed. All in all, it was an amazingly smooth experience. The counter lady was nice, I didn't have to wait, and my picture turned out ok. I look a little fuzzy and yellow, but I'll take that over being cross-eyed with a big cowlick any day. When I was leaving, I was in front of this big dude, so I sort of held the door open behind me so it wouldn't close on him, and so he says "You should have let me go in front of you so I could open the door" and I replied "It's cool, this helps me build up my arm muscles" (I am such a comedian), and then he says "But gentlemen hold the doors for ladies." I had no response to that. I didn't know people actually still felt like that anymore. Most of the time, dudes just let the door slam me in the face. This is what I get for working at a college. The kids here are usually pretty nice, but I will say that they're not exactly adherents to Miss Manner's advice. I really think it's just the age and not that they're cretins or anything. But I've been smacked with enough bookbags that I just don't expect great courtesy anymore. The kids these days.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sometimes surprises me how un-mannerly people are...letting the door close on you, etc. There just seems to be this "i-am-just-watching-out-for-myself" attitude that is really disheartening. I feel really old. :)

10:26 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

There's definitely not the emphasis on manners now as they're used to be. Sometimes I think that's good (like when I slack on writing thank you notes), but basic manners like greeting people, saying thank you and being kind should just be a given.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I do not like being called "ma'am." It feels way too adult.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

alisa, Anne did tell me that the cadets would call me "ma'am" and that I would need to call them Mr and Miss...that is strange to me but at least they all wear nametags! That is my DREAM b/c I am terrible with names! :)

I really hate that manners have gone out the window, makes me sad!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Ok, there is a serious lack of parenting in a family where a mom's excuse for a son's felony larceny is "it was only a car!" For. Crying. Out. Loud. I'd still like to think there are polite kids out there who don't engage in crime. Worst thing I ever did was accidentally back into a mailbox one time...and I felt really bad about that!

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read about those Wando kids in the paper and was APPALLED at that mother's quote when she said that she didn't think the football team should turn their backs on them..UM, EXCUSE ME, your son held up a grocery store at gunpoint!!! He didn't just steal a pack of gum from the Circle K, lady. Lord help me, if I find out EH ever does anything like that, they won't be able to print my quote!

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home