Thursday, February 01, 2007

I always say "no pain, no pain"

J and I went to his niece's basketball game last night (this is his next-oldest brother's 13-year-old daughter), and it turned out to be pretty fun. Our niece did a good job out there on the court, and, even though her team lost, they were very sportsmanlike about it. It was funny because at one point in the game, I mentioned that I'd forgotten a lot of the rules of middle school basketball, and J said I need to stop watching ESPN and start watching the Middle School Sports Network (or MSSN). And once I had that image in my head, I just couldn't stop laughing. Think of how hilarious a middle schools sports network would be: teams of 12-year-olds half-heartedly playing kickball, out-of-shape 8th graders throwing up during track meets, middle school figure skating programs that consist of skating backwards and lifting a leg up for half a second...the possibilities are endless. You could even have an MSSN Zone featuring the latest in sparkly gel pens and Justin Timberlake stickers. It's genius!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may be on to something here... some schools in my area have shows on local access channels and it is a trip! Especially when they air the prom. Nothing beats the Reading HS prom... a bunch of teens wearing the MOST questionable outfits giving 'shout outs' to their babies at home and stating the most random and bizarre aspirations for life after highschool...

9:06 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

They show proms on tv?!? Oh, I have GOT to see that! That must be hilarious! For one thing, prom dresses these days are downright heinous, but perhaps it's all about covering up their c-section scars...? What are some of their aspirations? I cannot wait to hear this.

9:34 AM  
Blogger BETH said...

How ingenious to air the prom on a local access channel...parents (or the local authorities!)can watch their precious children and make sure what they left the house wearing is actually what they arrived wearing and that they aren't putting adult beverages in the kiddie punch! :)

9:42 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

That must be horrifying for a parent to watch their child at a prom. Kids are usually incredibly awkward or doing things no parent should have to witness.

The more I think about it, my prom was ok, but it wasn't some dream of rainbows and lollipops that it's made out to be. It was just sort of "meh."

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They don't usually show much of the prom itself, but everyone has to walk thru an area and be interviewed. Reading HS is an inner city school. It has a sprinkling of really smart kids that are going to good colleges. But the majority of the kids are going to the local community college. A lot of the girls will just say that they are going to get a job. However a lot of the guys are going to brick laying school...??? I understand that we need brick layers, but its kinda bizarre how many kids from the same class want to pursue brick laying.
My favorites are the guys that show up in the white tux and top hat with a cane.

I didn't go to my prom. I didn't have a boyfriend at the time and all the stand by guy friends had somehow wound up with girlfriends!

2:00 PM  
Blogger BETH said...

I didn't go to prom, either, so those are memories I don't have. Oh well.
Katie, i hope you are feeling well! HOw far along are you now?

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We did *some* gymnastics in middle school. That'd be about as interesting to watch as kids going up and down the ropes.

I didn't go to my prom either! Wow. I had no idea I wasn't the only one. The guy I was supposed to go with was in a really bad car accident (a classmate actually died) so he wasn't up for it. I, being the sensitive person I am, didn't push him to go. I worked that night instead.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 19 weeks! Feeling pretty good... I was actually awake until 10pm last night! Look out!

5:05 PM  
Blogger BETH said...

Almost 1/2 way! I am glad you are feeling well! Sometimes I would not see the end of Jeopardy which meant I was in bed before 8:00! :)

I am very glad to know I am not the only one who didn't go to prom!

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home