Friday, February 16, 2007

It's made up...like Santa Claus and eskimos

Sweet merciful crap, I just saw a news story about the poor people who were trapped on a Pennsylvania highway for 15 to 20 hours yesterday! That had to suck. I'm guessing I could keep up a facade of good cheer for about an hour or two, but I'm quite certain that after sitting in a frozen car for 4 hours, I'd be pretty dang crabby. I'm not even sure what a person does to pass the time in that situation. Times like that, it would be handy to know a lot about botany so you could go outside and decide which pine needles would cause highway patrol officers the most pain when you stab them in the eye for not letting you move your car. Take that, Mr. Man!

And I thought The Office was good last night. I felt so bad for our girl, Pam. And I saw Scrubs, but I fell asleep during 30 Rock. I'm so mad at myself!

5 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Yeah, I'd be seriously tempted to just get out of the car and walk someplace else. They said it wasn't too far from Philadelphia, so you'd think there'd be lots of places to go...?

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were misinformed... the section of 78 where the backup was is not close to Philly and in fact is not close to anything. The worst part of it all is that so many people got on the highway before they figured out that it was impassable.
I heard that the truckers were syphoning gas to give to the other drivers so they could keep their heat on. The National Guard eventually showed up, but probably about 10 hours later than they should have.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Ugh, what a nightmare! What was the temperature around there yesterday? It only got up to about 18 here, so I can't imagine what it was like for those people when the sun went down. So there wasn't much the state could do to help them out? I've decided something: if I ever go for a long car ride in the winter, I'm taking a sled and dog with me.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They did say some of the locals were bring food and water by sled. But are you really telling me that there wasn't anyone in the authorities with a snowmobile or Hummer that couldn't have gotten to those people some food, water, heat or just gotten them out of there?

12:05 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

It sounds like a bureaucratic cluster@#"*. I think Katie's idea of using snow-friendly vehicles to get the sick and the kids out of there would have been excellent. It really is hard to believe it took 15 hours to come up with a plan. Geesh.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home