Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Warning: the following contains a feminist diatribe

J and I got into a discussion this morning after watching the news story about the 17-year-old boy who had an affair with his married 29-year-old teacher. J was commenting that the boy's friends were probably thinking it was incredibly cool, slapping him on the back, etc... and I had to point out that, sure, to a teenager it may seem cool, but it's really not. I am always fascinated by how men deem female deviant sexual behavior as cool and "sexy." Strippers, call girls, those idiot women who live with Hugh Hefner, they're all thought to be attractive in a way. But I think their reality is far from that. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that women who engage in abnormal sexual practices probably have serious emotional issues that stem from their childhoods. And, yes, men may reap the benefits of this, but it annoys me that there's not more sensitivity to the fact that these women are obviously feeling bad about something in their lives and they're expressing it through behaviors that could seriously hurt them.

Bottom line: men are animals. I kid! I kid because I love.

6 Comments:

Blogger BETH said...

You're right, there is a huge double standard there! What I don't get is how an adult woman finds a 15-16 boy attractive!!
Oh well, i always dated boys who were older and Kenny is a year older...

8:47 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

It's fine to me if two adults with a minor age difference get together, but, to me, a person in their late 20's dating a teenager is completely unacceptable. There's no way those two people are on the same level. If a 29-year-old is dating someone that much younger, I'm guessing it's because they need control, and that's not a good thing to do to a child.

And I think it's just as gross when an older adult man dates a young woman. I just get annoyed that people think it's somehow less dangerous for a woman to do it to a boy. Even though he may feel ready for it, it could harm his life in ways he doesn't even realize.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't we all learn a thing or two about this from "Dawson's Creek"? Pacey sleeping with his teacher and Jen whoring around with any guy regardless of age difference?

10:54 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I should have watched more Dawson's Creek. What happened to Pacey and the teacher?

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone found out and she had to leave the district... but I think that Pacey said that he lied about sleeping with her so that it wouldn't screw up her career forever.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Ahh, wonderful lesson for the kids: if you're ever in an illegal relationship and get caught, lie. That's just great.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home