Monday, May 14, 2007

You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose

I had the pleasure of attending Ashley's baby shower this weekend. It was so much fun. Her baby was moving around like a little kung fu fighter, and I actually got to feel one of the roundhouse kicks. Dang, that kid is strong! I can understand why that's keeping her up at night. I only got about 3 hours of sleep last night, and I didn't even have a small human doing kickboxing in my abdomen. Yowza. But it was so nice to see her. Now I'm even more excited to see the baby when he or she arrives. And, let me tell you, I have got to stop calling her baby "it" just because they're not finding out the gender until it's...I MEAN HE OR SHE is born. You can't call somebody's baby "it." It sounds bad...like I think she's going to give birth to a lizard or something.

We also had a nice Mother's Day yesterday. My Mom drove over and we had brunch with all of J's side of the family. We had a reservation for 25. And you know what I realized? If you added together the nephews on my and J's sides, we'd actually have enough players for a football team. That's a lot of dudes.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

pick a nick name for the baby, that's why we went with "Peanut" for a while b/c I hated "it".

I bet Ashley was adorable- any pictures?

8:25 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Ashley was so cute! I didn't get any pictures, but hopefully she'll have some that she'll email. She looked really good!

And, you're right, I need to think of a good nickname. It's just hard because everything I come up with sounds vaguely offensive. Sigh.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about turnip head? That's what Charlie used to call Claire's baby on Lost until she picked a name. Not really offensive b/c you don't really think he has a turnip for a head, just a pop culture reference.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I don't think Ashley watches Lost so she might think I'm being a jerk if I call the baby Turnip Head. What about Howler Monkey?

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I called my friend's baby Cletus...Cletus the Fetus. I called Kassidy "Roo" when she was "in there" cause hubby called me "Kanga". Liam was Deuce cause he was our second (not a male gigalo!)

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm... howler monkey... what about just monkey? Like "how is that little monkey doing?", "is the little monkey kicking a lot today?"

10:07 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I like "Roo" and "Monkey." I always have a hard time with "Deuce" because down in South Carolina, I knew people who used that word to refer to #2. So every time I hear of an athlete named Deuce, I laugh. I wish I'd never heard that.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Kanga and Roo idea :)

10:24 AM  
Blogger BETH said...

Emma Helen was "Ditto" until we knew she was a girl...in fact, it felt strange to call her by her name because we had gotten so used to "Ditto!" I am so happy for Ashley!

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a fantastic time seeing ANN!

Thanks for the well wishes... I'm doing good, getting big- I will try and send out pics when I get them from the family.

We do have a nickname- but it won't look right being written, but I'll give it a shot... We call the baby- the "bubbie"- not boobie- starts like bubba- then ends in ie. Not sure where Mark came up with it, but it stuck.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home