Friday, July 06, 2007

Kill your own Thanksgiving dinner dead

I started reading Cold Mountain yesterday. When that movie came out, I was feeling very anti-Jude Law, so I didn't pay much attention to it, but the book is fantastic. It's very well-written, and I like the sense of history you get. But I think I'm most fascinated by this idea of two women running a self-sufficient farm. Seriously, how awesome would it be to know how to make all your own food, spin wool and fix a log cabin in your spare time? I can barely hard boil an egg. I mean, it sounds like an enormous amount of work, but that must feel very fulfilling to go into your backyard and make lunch from food you grew yourself. I'm not emotionally invested in the Cheerios I bought from Walmart at all. I'm the product of a consumer-driven, disposable society, and it's a darn shame.

4 Comments:

Blogger BETH said...

Kenny and I recently watched the movie..he had read the book but I had not. (FYI, the character is a distant relative of Kenny's, it takes place in the NC mountains where a lot of his family still lives) Anyhoo, I enjoyed the movie and agree with you on the self sufficiency aspect...Renee Zellweger was great in the movie. the ending made me sad, though, and that is all I will say!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Ooh, yeah, don't tell me any more because I'm very curious how this is all going to end. I really like the Ruby character so far. Does she kill the rooster like she does in the book? And I noted the main male character's name and thought of you guys. That's neat!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't care much for the movie. That's one of those where I wished I had read it and not seen the movie. Oh well.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I might still rent the movie just to see how it's different. They're just never as good as the book.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home