Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Once, twice, three times a Wubby

Oh. My. God. We watched our first birthing video in class last night. My initial reaction upon seeing the baby being born: sign me up for a c-section. Gah! People, there is just nothing natural about this whole childbirth thing. I can't believe a being that size came out of that opening. Wow. And the woman in this video just did breathing to get through it, so I have no idea how that was possible. There was just so much...gushing. I am traumatized.

We did get home and watched Chuck and Heroes afterwards, and that helped get my mind off the anxiety of it all. I loved Chuck, and I was very pleased with Heroes. I like any of the episodes that feature Peter and Nathan. Even if Nathan's not talking, he's still about 20 times more interesting than Nikki/Jessica. Ugh. She is so annoying.

8 Comments:

Blogger BETH said...

I was traumatized by the birthing videos, too! But, your body knows what to do and is built to give birth! Please don't opt for a c-section unless it is medically necessary...it is major surgery and it takes a long time to heal at the same time you are learning how to live with a newborn! :) Yeah epidural! (i'm sorry for being judgy!)

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having been through the c-section, I second what Beth has to say! I'm still deciding when Logan gets a brother/sister if I would be willing to go thru it all again b/c I know what to expect and when to expect it, or if I would try to do it the "regular" way.

I thought that the delivery of the placenta was 10 times worse than the birth on those videos!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Gah, we didn't even see the placenta in last night's video! I fear next week's is going to go into even more detail. I am scared.

And, believe me, I will only go for a c-section if my doctor tells me I have to. I really want to heal as quickly as I can. I'm no fan of surgery.

8:56 AM  
Blogger BETH said...

delivering the placenta was definitely strange, but by that point, I was just glad EH was out of there. I have had friends who had a c-section first and then a "regular" birth for the next but then others with both c-sections. I think it has partly to do with the size of the 2nd baby, but I didn't have a csection so i don't really know. we are not trying to scare you, we promise! (i just spoke for you, Katie!) :) You will be fine and it is definitely true that it doesn't take long to "forget" about the pain, etc.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I saw the placenta in the video we watched in my Human Growth & Development class. Yeesh.

9:10 AM  
Blogger JLR said...

I didn't even feel the placenta being delivered, but I did want to see it. I wanted to see the thing that was feeding and giving air to Ben. It reminded me of dark red jelly.

Just remember, you are at the other end, unless you get a mirror, you are at the other end! :)

10:24 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I can assure you, I will not be watching the birth through the mirror. I do NOT need to see that. I can't believe couples actually videotape this and then watch it later. What is with that?

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it the 70's/80's version with the guys in mullets and the women with feathered bangs? That helped keep me occupied from the reality of childbirth.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home