Thursday, November 29, 2007

Well, I'm not the world's most passionate guy

This may sound weird to people who actually sleep, but I'm so happy I didn't wake up until 5 today. Ahh, sweet relief. I took a nap last night but was up in time to watch the new Project Runway at 10. I find that show so interesting. It's so bizarre to me how fashion designers (particularly male ones) have no idea how to make men's clothes. There are all these guys out there, running around draping women in all sorts of fabric, but ask them to put together a man's shirt, and they lose their minds. Dude, you're wearing a man's shirt. It can't be that hard to figure out. I had this professor in college who pointed out that, for the longest time (and even to a point today), all these arenas that are generally seen as the female domain in everyday life (cooking, fashion, interior design) become male-dominated once you reach the highest echelons of the profession. And that's sad. Because we shouldn't have people who don't wear spiked heels telling us to. I don't tell them what to do with their hairy chests and testes, now do I?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I usually wind up catching Project Runway in reruns, but it is funny how rarely they make button down shirts/blouses or even pants!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I've heard that if you see their pieces in person, the seams and everything look really cruddy, too. But I think if you call yourself a designer, you really ought to be able to sew a pair of pants together. I mean really.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kinda like if you take a good look at the work done on trading spaces? There is something wrong with making someone's furniture completely from MDF.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Oooh, I know what you mean. Those pieces of furniture probably last about 2 weeks. I'll never forget the one episode where that Hilde put hay on a family's walls. So sad.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that episode. Hilde was nuts. She also used wine labels as a wallpaper in a non-drinking pastor's kitchen.

I know someone who knows someone (I swear!) who was on Trading Spaces and their furniture totally fell apart about a month or two later.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I never understood why they didn't go out and get used furniture instead of making cruddy, new stuff. I'd rather have an old armoire than one made out of particle board.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A DJ of a local radio station was on Trading Spaces - Hilde did his kitchen and he said he had such a hard time selling his house because they did such a crappy job.

On another show, she glued plastic flowers on walls. What is her deal?

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home