Thursday, July 24, 2008

It's hot dog Thursday here in the library. Score!

You know, I've been pleasantly surprised by how well Lil J's been taking to solid food. He's proving to be a pretty adaptable kid when it comes to different things. Sure, he had his momentary issue with peas, but even that has turned out to be ok. But we're having one big problem, and that is the fact that he will no longer drink formula. I don't know if he's thinks drinking formula is uncool or babyish or what, but he won't touch the stuff. I still breastfeed him at night and in the morning, so I know he's getting some of the liquid nutrition he needs, but I'm still worried that he's going to get dehydrated. We even let him have some water and juice during the day, but I know we can't rely on that. Any ideas? I'm going to ask the pediatrician about it next time we visit. I just wish it was 1974 and I was my Mom and I could throw some cow's milk at the baby without worrying about it. Our moms had it so good and they had no idea. I would totally trade in all the music-playing, light-up toys in the world for feeling secure that the things I let touch my kid's lips were not going to ultimately destroy him. Ugh. Stupid internet.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has he tried a sippy cup yet? Maybe he doesn't want to use the bottle anymore. "Mom, the bottle was so last month!".

With the doc's ok, you could try to give him some yogurt or cheese- for some reason these things are ok to give before a year even though they are made from cow's milk.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Oh, that's interesting about yogurt and cheese. I didn't know babies could eat that before milk. That is weird.

We'll try that with the sippy cup. He likes to use the sippy cup now to drink water or juice, even though a lot of it ends up on his shirt. Heh.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Yes, yogurt and cheese are both okay before one year. The reasoning is kind of stupid, I think. From what I've read, it's not that the kid shouldn't have it, but that they still need the stuff in formula, and if you start giving them whole milk, it will replace the formula as his primary fluid intake and he won't be getting the stuff he needs from the formula. Here's some info:
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/dairy.htm

Honestly, since you're still nursing, I doubt that's even an issue, but I'd check with the ped.

Also, YoBaby makes these yogurt shakes that Harrison absolutely adores. And by adores, I mean, is addicted like a crack junkie. :) When we were trying to transition H to whole milk, he didn't like it, so I started mixing a little yogurt shake in his cups to get him to drink it. Maybe you could try that with the formula?

9:38 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Drat, my link didn't work. Let me try again:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/dairy.htm

9:39 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Thank you! That was a very informative website! I like the idea of mixing something into the formula because I suspect it's the taste he doesn't like. So I'm going to try putting it into the sippy cup to see if that's the problem, and then I'll ask the doctor about putting some yogurt shake in there. Excellent! I have a plan!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hot dog Thursday? What am I missing!!

2:40 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Jamie, Vi brought in this cute little hot dog maker (it's in the shape of a hot dog cart) and cooked dozens of dogs for all of us. Then a couple other people brought in cookies, chips and fruit, so it's been quite the feast.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG! Of all the days to be on maternity leave!

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home