Friday, July 25, 2008

Next Friday's topic: bizarre animal maimings!

This is probably pretty morbid for a Friday morning, but my friend at work and I were just talking about kids from our high schools who died weird deaths. She knew a guy who had just graduated and collapsed and died on a ski slope from some sort of heart defect. And she also knew a popular girl who went camping, got bitten by a bug, had some sort of crazy allergic reaction, went into a coma and died. Yikes! Makes me glad I'm an indoor girl. But I was telling her about a girl in my class who was pretty and popular and married her high school sweetheart only to die in her sleep from a brain aneurysm as a newlywed. We also had a kid a year younger than me in high school who died from huffing whip-its. That was just sad. It's bad enough when a young person dies and never gets a chance to live life. But then when they die from doing something stupid...what a waste. But I still think the strangest thing is that there were two girls from my graduating class who were paralyzed while partying in college. True story. One was swinging on a rope in somebody's back yard, fell and broke her back. The other one was on a porch that collapsed during a barbecue, I think. Isn't that weird? My high school class had over 550 kids in it, but that's still got to be astronomical odds.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

There was girl in my school, who was a sophomore when I was a senior, went into a wooded area and set herself on fire and therefore burned to death. She had these really crazy blue eyes. I remember thinking after she died that maybe the eyes are a window to the soul.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Good grief, she set herself on fire?!? Dude, that has got to be a horrible way to go. Ouch!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think we had any really weird deaths like that... there was a car accident with kids from Mike's class, a guy in my class had cancer, and another guy in my class committed suicide the year after graduation, but I don't remember how... I do remember thinking he was the last guy in the world that would kill himself.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I know what you mean. As a kid, I thought unattractive, unpopular people who dressed in black killed themselves. Then I started to see cute, popular, high-achieving kids do it and realized it's the ones who put so much pressure on themselves that are at high risk. I had this one friend in h.s. who was anorexic and I couldn't figure out why because she was really pretty and thin to begin with (so she got downright skeletal), but it was because she was a perfectionist. Very sad.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home