Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Ultimate Playpen Death Match

J, Lil J and I went to the mall on Saturday. I think J had seen me look disheveled for so many days in a row that he was desperately trying to motivate me to brush my hair...and it worked! I love a mall. So we went up to Tuttle and walked around for a while, and something about being there caused Lil J to erupt in bodily fluids. He actually spit up all over the floor in front of the belly ring kiosk. That's what he thinks of body piercing, apparently. But as we were leaving, we walked by the big play area for bigger kids and saw that it was closed because a kid had gotten hurt in there and was being looked at by the paramedics. Yikes! I've gone into those mall play areas before when my nephews were visiting, and, seriously, they're a war zone. I'm surprised any toddlers get out of there uninjured. The one at Tuttle is a space theme, so there are all these plastic planets and space shuttles to crawl on, and you have no idea how territorial the big kids get about the rings of Saturn. It's frightening how quick they are to push over a 2-year-old who even looks interested in coming over. I think when Lil J gets old enough, we're going to steer clear of the mall. I'm pretty sure that running with scissors would be safer.

4 Comments:

Blogger BETH said...

I hate that stuff and those jump castles, too!! Most of the toys like that are accidents waiting to happen! Running with scissors is probably safer! :)

9:09 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

As my sister said, the least they could do is have separate areas for the big kids and little kids. No 2-year-old stands a chance in a jump castle full of 6-year-olds. I see that, and I start dialing "91."

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sister is right, they should have a section for younger kids. Scary.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I don't know how anyone works near that play area in the mall either. It's louder than a shuttle launch in there. I wonder if, after a while, you don't really hear all the wails and screeches anymore.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home