Friday, May 22, 2009

Come to me, my jungle friends

One of the many things Lil J and I have in common is our love for rainbow sherbet. We share bowls of it all the time. So last night after dinner, I asked him if he wanted any (and he actually turned me down...I think it was because he overloaded on mashed potatoes), and J pointed out that Lil J is going to be the only kid in the world who actually pronounces it "sherbet" instead of "sherbert." And I said "Well, it's supposed to be pronounced 'sherbet' because the other way is WRONG," and J just sort of shook his head in that sad way, like I'm dooming the kid to nerdhood because I'm not throwing consonants around where they don't belong. I also don't tell Lil J to go eat "dronuts" or throw me a "brasketball" either, so why would I pronounce it "sherbert?" I refuse to dumb it down just to fit in! I may not have been popular in high school, but at least I didn't say "supposively!"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sherbert is a variant of sherbet. They both mean ice with milk. it's like color and colour.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

You keep on telling yourself that, Anonymous.

8:59 AM  
Blogger BETH said...

I guess I have been wrong all my life b/c I say "sherbert," too! :)

I used to work with someone who said "pacifically" instead of "specifically" and it drove me insane.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

"Pacifically?" What does that even mean?? :)

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home