Friday, March 03, 2006

The Mussolini speech

I liked The Office last night. I have actually worked in offices where people fight over the thermostat like that. You'd think that issues like promotions, wages and benefits would cause most of the tension in an office, but no. It's always things like the thermostat, suspicions about 3-hole-puncher theft and somebody taking somebody else's parking spot. Curious.

In an interesting coincidence, I woke up with a headache this morning, and I think it's because of work stress. I've worked about 30 different jobs in my life, and I have come to accept that I will never understand management. I can only tell myself that there are legal or financial reasons for why they do some of the things they do, and that's cool. But lately, I've been having this overwhelming feeling that when management makes some surprising decisions, it's not because they are doing the best they can, but because they're just looking out for each other. And that makes me sad. And angry. And a little bit like we ought to book a flight to Australia because there's a chance we might run into Jim or end up on a deserted island paradise.

Other than that, everything really is good. For one thing, it's Friday (yes!), we're going out to lunch today, and I'm going to be in Baltimore next week for my conference. CRAB CAKES!

4 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

That's right, that was a great line about Dwight and Mordor! Dwight totally creeps me out. He really seems evil sometimes.

Yeah, I've had interesting bosses before, but nothing quite like this. It makes me feel very helpless. Ugh.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am going through some work stress, but not so much from my boss as from other departments. Like today, I'm stressed b/c another department is mad at me b/c I did not treat their poor planning as my emergency... now why should this even bother me? Their problem, not mine, and yet it bothers me b/c I have the emotional need to be liked by all...

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way- when are you going to be in Baltimore? Its not like a hop skip and jump from me, but it is still within range...

10:35 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I'm going to be in Baltimore Monday through Wednesday. I didn't even realize it was close to you! That stinks about the inter-departmental stress. People can be such jerks!

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home