Sunday, March 12, 2006

Shake it

Yesterday was a long day, but it was fine. The funeral service was very nice. One of J's aunts is a Pentecostal preacher, and her sermon was something else. I can honestly say that I've never been to a funeral service like that before. I don't want it to sound like I'm making fun, because when she was preaching, singing and speaking in tongues, it really did cheer people up. I wasn't that cheered up until we got some Steak'n'Shake after the burial, but that's neither here nor there. And the birthday party afterwards was fun. You get 25 people ranging in age from 5 months to 61 years in one house together, and there's bound to be lots going on. But if I go the rest of my life without glimpsing my father-in-law flash my mother-in-law again, I'll be just fine. Holy smokes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Yeah, I gave J quite a quiz about speaking in tongues after that. I've never seen anybody do that before, so I had lots of questions. But when I asked him if people in her church danced with snakes, he got all mad at me. Geesh, just a question.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is J pentecostal? My friend Ginny's fiance is pentecostal and I didn't know anything about it... and she told me that when she goes to church with him, people stand up and sing and speak in tongues... I'm not sure how this is going to mix with her very catholic family, but I guess we will see.

I'm glad the weekend went well and you got some sleep!!!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

J doesn't go to church regularly, but he was brought up as a (and forgive me if I get the terminology wrong here) born-again or Evangelical. He's not Pentecostal, but he calls himself "Christian" although his belief system falls more in line with born-agains (although he was never anything else, so calling him "born again" seems odd). Anyway, I didn't know his family was Pentecostal. It really is different from Catholicism!

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home