Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Something something dark side

So this morning is the campus all faculty and staff meeting that runs all morning and into the early afternoon. I believe they're providing pastries and coffee this morning, so I'm delighted at that piece of news. I have to give a presentation on my digital image database in the afternoon and I am already getting a case of the nerves. I really can't stand public speaking, so I just hope I don't collapse into a heap of jelly when I get up at the podium. I keep having this image of me getting up there, starting to talk and then getting a bloody nose (due to my recent cold and the resulting 300 times I've blown my nose in the past 2 days). I would then be forever known on campus as "that blonde girl who got the bloody nose." Which, really, could be worse. I'm very happy I'm not the person here whom we all refer to as "that twitchy guy who's always sexually harassing freshmen."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or you could fake a bloody nose so that you don't have to give the presentation.

I have to do a presentation at the end of the month and I am already getting nervous about it. Bleck!

9:23 AM  
Blogger BETH said...

ann, you will be fine! just remember that you are the expert on what you are presenting!! take a deep breath and don't talk to fast and let us know how it goes! I will send good thoughts up to Ohio!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Update: I did get pretty nervous during my speech. I felt fine, then I got up there, saw all those people looking at me and the moisture just sucked right out of my mouth. I'm sure everybody could tell I was nervous, but I got through it, and I got some good feedback on the database, so I think it was still a success! Phew! I'm so glad it's over!

1:20 PM  
Blogger BETH said...

YEAH!! Congrats!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Ann!

I've found that not everyone they let in front of a group of people is a really great speaker... I've seen some doozies! So I'm sure you were just fine!

You should have made the monkey face, that would have won them over for sure!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I am glad that my nervousness about public speaking manifests itself into things like shakiness and drymouth, rather than fainting or, say, rage. I'd much rather come off looking nervous than obnoxious or unprepared.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home