Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Homo Barechestus

So I've been doing an anthropological study of our new neighbors. Apparently, this family of four is related to the family that rents the house directly across the street from us (the father is somebody's sister, something like that). And I have noticed a definite clan mentality among this group. Now, I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's definitely different from how I grew up, where it was just me, my Mom, Dad, brother and sisters and we'd occasionally see our extended family for holidays and such. These new people on our street are much closer than that. But I really can't keep track of who's who and whose kids belong where and which car is driven by people who actually live there or if they're just visiting. If I had counted, I would guess I've seen about 30 different adults on the front porch and over a dozen different children over the weekend. I asked J if he'd noticed this, and he had and said it's pretty common for our neighborhood to see this sort of clan gathering. Apparently, the common traits of this type of event include 40-ounce bottles of liquid, cooking over open flame, albino snakes and not wearing shirts. Fascinating.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really do have an interesting neighborhood. Albino snakes? Ick. You should make a documentary about the people on your street.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yep, I saw the albino snake in person a couple weeks ago. They also have a dog and like three kittens over there.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the kittens are for keeping and not for eating.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yikes! No wonder we keep finding them in our driveway--they're running for their lives!

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home