Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I want my two dollars!

The other day, J and I were watching tv and saw a commercial for that show Kid Nation. This adorable, 8-year-old-ish girl was on the ad talking about being a leader and she said something along the lines of "I'm not the kind of girl that backs away from a fight." And it struck me as such a disturbingly precocious thing for a kid that age to say that I said to J, "Wow, did you ever say stuff like that when you were 8?" and he shook his head no, and then I said "I've been backing away from fights for 30 years." And J looked at the tv, paused, looked at me and said "That 8-year-old could kick your butt." Ha! And it's so true. She'd be all "You want a piece of me?!" and I'd be like "Hey, hey, can't we just talk this out?" I would like to say I'm a pacifist, but I think I'm really just a nonconfrontational wuss most of the time. Unless I've got a vodka gimlet in me. Then all bets are off.

Heroes was pretty good last night. I like Nathan much better without the beard. But we really enjoyed watching Chuck. That's definitely my favorite new show this year. Yeah, take that, bionic woman!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"That's a real shame when folks go throwin' away a perfectly good white boy."

That 8 year old may win in a fight against you but I think you'd put up a good fight.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Franch dressing, Franch fries, and to drink, we have Peru!

Has anyone really watched Kid Nation? I haven't yet, but it does intrigue me. And who would let their kids sign up for this kind of show?

8:43 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

"That's some good snow. Do you realize the street value of this mountain?"

I haven't watched Kid Nation at all. I have this feeling that there's a lot of crying, and I just don't feel like watching that.

10:09 AM  
Blogger BETH said...

I have never seen Kid Nation and can't imagine any parent allowing their child to be a part of it.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen had a couple of the kids with their parents. I still wasn't convinced after the interview that it was a good idea.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

It seems like a situation primed for something to go wrong. Do the adults ever intervene if the kids can't handle what comes up? I wonder if it ever got really freaky, Lord-of-the-Flies-ish...?

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home