Thursday, April 17, 2008

All my friends know the low rider

One of my recent work assignments was to find images of historic American cars, and it turned out to be a pretty fun project. Oddly enough, I have developed an affinity for those massive, gas-guzzling sedans from the 70's. So much so that I'm seriously thinking about buying a Buick the next time I get a car. Which actually won't be for another year or two at least, but I really think I'm going to look for a car that has a trunk the size of my current car. Awww yeah. And I can rationalize that I'll need a bigger car because if J and I are lucky enough to have a second kid, we won't be able to fit two car seats into my little, 2-door coupe. And I don't like minivans or SUV's so I HAVE TO HAVE a boat. My SC homies might remember a brief period when I was driving my Grandpa's old Lumina. That didn't last long, but I distinctly remember how comfortable that car was. It was like driving a couch. Sweet.

I really hope I can stay up long enough tonight to watch 30 Rock and The Office. I doubt I will because I was asleep by 9 last night (seriously, it wasn't even fully dark out yet), but I'm going to give it the ol' college try. They just crack me up. "That's what she said!"

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rented that Grand Marquis when I was in SC once and that thing was a blast to drive. It's huge and comfy and I felt much safer. Plus I seem to remember we fit 7 in there quite comfortably. So you could have all the kids you want and they'd be fine.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I should totally get a Grand Marquis and then take my kids and all their friends to Sonic. I'd be the most popular mom ever!

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember Das Bot! (spelling is proabably terribly wrong-oh well!).

That was the trip with the ridiculously small car (which was falling apart) on the way there and the giant car on the way home.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the one! I ended up with a third car on that trip. Katie, I felt badly for us because we didn't have a CD player on the way down. Didn't we make Ashley drive Das Boot (also probably wrong) one night? That's like making a ladybug drive a Barbie car. Whoa, that was a weird analogy.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok- ladybug? I don't doubt that I drove Das Boot- but I seriously can't remember! I'm used to driving huge honkin' cars- I drive the 12 passenger van here at LC. Talk about ladybug!

You'd be the most popular friend too- if you'd drive over here, and take me to a sonic! How fair is it, that we get the commercials, but the nearest one is 2 or 3 hrs. away!!!! That is SO wrong!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

That is just plain cruel to show Sonic commercials when there isn't one within a 2-hour drive. That ought to be illegal. We've been talking about moving, and I actually thought about living in a neighborhood just to be close to a Sonic. That is a little crazy.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

It's Das Boot. (And hey! I finally found a use for that German degree!)

I briefly drove an early-70s Chevy Nova when I was in high school. It was electric blue, had dual exhaust, black leather interior, and got about 3 miles to the gallon. I LOVED that car. It was a loaner from the mechanic, who was working on my 1976 Honda Civic for like a month. Talk about contrasts...

And just to be clear, those cars were both OLD when I drove them. :)

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Ashley had to drive it and I think it may have been BECAUSE she had experience driving big cars ;)

That trip was quite the adventure.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I do believe it was the combination of her prior experience along with our level of intoxication. That was a good trip.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home