Thursday, May 08, 2008

It belongs in a museum!

I'm reading this book that Alisa and her mom recommended called Mistress of the Art of Death about a female coroner in Medieval Europe. And it's really good--there's a good murder mystery at the center of the plot, but I love the discussion of a woman's "place" in that society. I mean, this whole idea that women were inherently sinful (thanks a lot, EVE) is so ludicrous that it's funny to me, but then I remind myself that people actually believed that. And some people probably still do. So bizarre. And you know how I hate to judge, but are the women who belong to that polygamous religion in Texas crazy or what? Don't you want to set up a meeting with these chicks and spend a good 30 to 40 minutes just shaking them? I mean, I was an anthropology minor in college, so I have to at least try to take a step back and remember that I should not draw conclusions about other cultures, religions, etc..., but, honestly, this is America in 2008. What in the world are these women thinking, engaging in polygamous marriage, having no rights and wearing such unattractive dresses? I mean, you don't have to be Paris Hilton, but I like to think that most of us occupy a happy medium in there.

7 Comments:

Blogger BETH said...

That book sounds good!

I agree completely, I have such a hard time understanding the whole "women are inferior" belief and I can't help but judge. I also don't understand why being in a polygamist family means you have to look so bad? I keep seeing images of one of the wives on TV who has a huge monobrow...does that religion forbid tweezing/waxing of eyebrows? :)

10:28 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Seriously!! What religious text says you have to wear a sack of a dress, no makeup and a beehive/braid combo? That just ain't right. If my religious leader said I could no longer wear sparkles, I'd be like "I'm outta here." That's how strongly I feel about sequins.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you there, but think about the Amish, it IS part of their religion to dress so plainly, etc.

But if I were a guy and I was going to have multiple wives... wouldn't I want them all to be hot?

11:35 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Oh, man, that cracked me up about "wouldn't I want them all to be hot?" Whoo! That's good stuff. And very true, I would think.

Here's what gets me about the polygamists: when I was watching the news, I saw a couple of the men from the sect and they were dressed like any Texan dudes with jeans, shirt, belt buckle. Now why is it that all the women have a "uniform," but the men seem to wear whatever they want? That ain't cool.

1:08 PM  
Blogger BETH said...

Speaking of Amish, I am reading "Plain Truth" by Jodi Picoult and it takes place in an Amish town in Pennsylvania. I am enjoying it so far!

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you like the book. I'll have to tell mom she dun good.

I was thinking a lot about their outfits the other day and then I remembered hearing something about special underwear that some wear to temple and the hair and dresses had less of an impact on me.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Don't some Mormons wear special underwear? I seem to remember Steve Young talking about that once. Frankly, I don't think God's that picky about delicates--I bet He's just glad we wear underwear at all, BRITNEY.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home