Friday, August 08, 2008

My Dad's favorite joke: "Did you hear about the lady who shaved her legs and wrecked 'em?" Say it out loud

I was just reading this article on Yahoo about the country's fastest-dying cities (fun!) figuring I'd be reading about places like Detroit (which, to this day, I still associate with the movie Robocop), but it turns out Ohio is home to 4 of the top 10 dying cities in America. Score! We're number 1! Yeah, they said Cleveland, Youngstown, Canton and Dayton have four of the slowest economies and dwindling populations in the entire U.S. of A. Dayton is where I was born, so this makes me glad I live in Columbus, where we've always got Ohio State and Nationwide Insurance to keep people employed. Dodged a bullet on that one! I'm also interested to learn that Ohio is considered to be in the "Rust Belt." I thought we were in the Corn Belt. Huh. Learn something new every day. Maybe we're actually in the Rusty Corn Belt or the Corny Rust Belt. Ba da bing!

4 Comments:

Blogger BETH said...

I have been to Detroit and while I really liked the hotel I stayed in, I was not overly impressed with the town. The downtown was completely dead which is a little eerie at night. That trip was also the one I had the run-in with Canadian border patrol, but that is a story for another day.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Do tell! You know, I've never been to Detroit. I'm afraid to go, frankly. All I think is 8 Mile and Robocop, and it all seems very scary.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Ann, you will turn into a rapper or a robot if you ever go to Detroit. Ha!

We lived outside of Detroit when I was younger, but I don't remember much about it.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I knew it!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home