Friday, February 06, 2009

Who's the stiff?

I just did one of those cliched pregnancy things and made J go all the way across campus in this cold, icy weather to get me a root beer from the cafeteria because I woke up this morning with a feverish, burning desire for Mug. I cannot explain it, but I had to have it. And to heck with the idea of me getting it myself. Screw that.

I had an interesting class last night. We were talking about the development of department stores in the mid-19th century, so I got off on a tangent about capitalism and how advertising is about creating a need in consumers. I mentioned how I always think about this when I see an infomercial and they're telling me I can't possibly survive without a ShamWow!, Snuggie or the latest vegetable chopper that will mostly likely remove one of my thumbs. Yeah, you know what? I've actually survived just fine these past 34 years without any of those, and I've never had a Magic Clasp either. But, I'll tell you something, a lot of my students seem pretty enamored of those Snuggies. Apparently, dorm rooms really are cold and drafty. Who knew?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the Sham Wow guy almost as much as that shouty guy who does the Oxy Clean. We were actually talking about consumerism in my Global Perspectives class the other night. My textbook backs up everything you said about creating the need.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Have you noticed the Shamwow guy's wonky eye? Creepy!

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for all this stuff, I must admit! I thought for sure I would have a Snuggie under the tree at Christmas, but I also think the people in the commercial are so commical! So Billy Mays (the Oxy Clean guy) is now peddling life insurance - and still yelling while doing so! And the Slap Chop... that chopper has been around FOREVER and they just keep re-marketing it. And I'm sorry, but it still seems easier to use my food processor!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I've heard the Snuggies are sometimes really late in the mail, so don't give up hope that one's not on its way to you yet! :)

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought it'd be funny if SNL or MadTV did a spoof on Billy Mays. Like we'd see him go home after shooting one of his infomercials and we find out that he shouts like that all the time. I picture him greeting his family, helping his kids with homework, putting them to bed, etc. all while shouting at them.

11:32 AM  
Blogger BETH said...

Whenever a Billy Mays commercial comes on, EH asks why he is yelling at us. Alisa, I laughed out loud when I read about SNL doing a spoof, that would be so funny!!

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be awesome! Alisa, you need to get on that!

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home